The Underboughs Hold Campaigns
Character Creation Rules
1) Ability Score Generation
Use Method 2: Customizing Scores as detailed in the PHB.
2) Alternate Rewards & Inherent Bonuses
In keeping with the Lower/Rarer/Less Accessible Magic flavor of Annydwyr, the Alternate Rewards system (as detailed in the DMG 2) will be used. You may still be able to “buy” items here and there, but there will be a specific in-game reason and set of challenges to overcome in order to do so. There were already Divine Boons, Grand Master Training, and Legendary Boons in the campaign, but I hadn’t placed rules on them. This system fits perfectly. Remember, as a general rule, THERE IS NO MAGIC STORE IN ANNYDWYR
Inherent Bonus option. (DMG 2) Click on this in the character builder. (One of the check boxes under “Manage/Details” in the Character Builder once your PC is loaded.) This will automatically add the adjustments for the system to your character or refer to the rules below:
AC, Defense, Attack and Damage Bonuses:
- Attack & Damage: All characters gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls at 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, 22nd, and 27th level
- Defenses: All PCs gain a +1 bonus to AC, Fortitude, Reflex and Will at 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th, 24th, and 27th level
3) All this means that gold will be cut in half, and treasure parcels will have the highest and lowest magic item removed as detailed in the Alternative Rewards Rules of the DMG 2. In layman terms, you’re gonna get less gold, but you don’t need to use it to make your character better. You can spend it on other things, and I’ll start thinking about how to facilitate that in the game.
4) Spending Money: Money can be spent on rituals that grant boons. As described in DMG II, the Enchant Magic Item ritual is replaced with three distinct rituals:
1) Implore Divine Boon
2) Invoke Legendary Boon
3) Grandmaster Training
These rituals have additional requirements beyond the Ritual Caster feat and the expenditure of gold. Otherwise, the rituals function the same as Enchant Magic Item and allow characters to acquire a boon of their level or lower.
5) I’ve also started working on some campaign specific “Birthright Conversion” stuff this weekend for domain rulership and bloodline abilities. Ask me about it if you are interested or do an internet search if you can’t wait. Thinking of using a spin on Dragonmarks, or maybe Spellscars but not sure yet.